As winter attracts close to, drivers in Atlantic Canada are reminded to arrange their autos, and themselves, for snowy situations.
SaltWire Community not too long ago spoke with Steven Olmstead, director of social duty and advocacy for The Canadian Vehicle Affiliation about secure winter driving habits and practices.
Within the final 12 months alone, Olmstead mentioned CAA had over 100,000 roadside rescues, a big a part of which had been in the course of the winter.
Olmstead mentioned drivers ought to guarantee they’re able to cope with the snow nicely earlier than it falls. “There are two stuff you’ve acquired to do. Put together the car, and put together your self,” he mentioned.
Some suggestions for car preparation:
- Get winter tires put in before later. Drivers ought to swap from their summer season season tires as soon as the climate is persistently underneath 7 levels Celsius. In case you are shopping for new tires for the season, purchase winter tires, because the rubber is softer and permits higher traction and braking in snow.
- Look over your car . Whereas there may be by no means a nasty time to examine your car, getting a full mechanical inspection executed earlier than winter hits will present what the car must be absolutely ready. On the very least, high up all fluids and check your battery’s well being.
- Change your wipers. Wipers take a beating all through many of the 12 months, however winter might be particularly taxing on them. Altering your wipers whenever you change your tires for the season is an effective behavior to get into.
- Top off for an emergency. It’s a good suggestion to create an emergency automotive equipment to your car to maintain within the trunk in case of a breakdown, an accident, or when you get caught and wish to attend for assist. Conserving a primary support equipment, non-perishable snacks, water, a small shovel, and further gloves and a hat or perhaps a blanket will preserve drivers ready for many conditions.
- Keep gassed up. Conserving a full or no less than a half tank of gasoline in your car will assist you to periodically begin the car to maintain heat when you ever get caught in an emergency on or off the street.
Olmstead mentioned exterior of making ready our autos, drivers ought to put together themselves by entering into the winter driving mindset and specializing in what’s vital for security.
Some suggestions for driver preparation:
- Examine the forecast. Earlier than leaving house, examine the situations of the place you might be and the place you’re heading. If you happen to assume you won’t make it because of the situations, don’t depart.
- Depart early. Give your self loads of time to securely arrive at your vacation spot so that you don’t rush.
- Keep calm. If you find yourself in an emergency scenario the place you might be caught or need assistance, don’t panic. Keep away from doing any heavy lifting or making an attempt to push your automotive your self. In case you are caught, be certain your automotive’s tailpipe is obvious and preserve a window cracked open for recent air when you wait.
Extra info and tips about winter driving can be found online.