STORY CONTINUES BELOW THESE SALTWIRE VIDEOS
CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. — It took 9 tries earlier than Inexperienced get together chief Peter Bevan-Baker managed to win in an election.
Bevan-Baker, who’s a dentist by commerce, made historical past in 2015 when he gained a seat in that 12 months’s provincial election and put a Inexperienced MLA within the legislature for the primary time in P.E.I.
In 2019, he led the Greens to change into the official Opposition.
That is the primary in a four-part sequence as we requested the leaders of the Progressive Conservatives, Greens, Liberals and NDP the identical 20 questions.
Responses could have been edited barely for size and readability.
1. What’s your full identify?
Peter Stewart Bevan-Baker.
2. The place had been you born and the place do you reside in the present day?
Born in Aberdeen, Scotland and stay in Bonshaw, P.E.I.
3. What’s one factor you desire to folks to find out about you?
In my earlier life as a dentist, I watched a lot of my “profitable” colleagues who had been sad and struggled with life, so I developed a presentation that I gave at worldwide dental conferences on contentment referred to as “The Glad Dentist”. The crux of my beliefs: striving to be rich isn’t the trail to happiness – the standard of your relationships, having significant work, and being of service to others is the place it’s at.
4. What would folks be shocked to find out about you?
Turning into a politician made me a greater individual! I perceive myself higher; I perceive how politics works higher; I perceive our province higher; I perceive the world round me higher; I’m a greater listener and a greater chief due to that.
5. What’s the hardest factor you’ve ever executed?
Leaving my household after I left Scotland and got here to Canada.
6. Are you able to describe one expertise that modified your life?
Assembly my spouse Ann in Newfoundland in 1985.
7. What’s your best indulgence?
A big Ken’s fries!
8. What’s your favorite ebook?
The Lifetime of Pi.
9. What’s your favorite film?
4 Weddings and a Funeral.
10. What music do you prefer to take heed to?
Dwell music and I take heed to virtually something from folks to jazz to pop to classical.
11. What’s your best worry?
12. What’s your best pleasure?
Strolling in nature.
13. What’s your most treasured possession?
14. What’s one of the best recommendation you bought from a guardian or mentor?
Be trustworthy and be your self.
15. What would you say is your highest quality, and what would you say is your worst high quality?
One of many joys of politics is the chance, for those who’re open to it, to study new issues each day, and one in every of my finest qualities is that I’m a very good listener. One of many frustrations of politics is having to cope with actually dozens of points concurrently, which suggests you usually are typically unfocused, which is an unwelcome high quality!
16. What’s your precedence (private or political) for the 12 months forward?
Looking for a greater stability in my life, however with an election simply across the nook that may be troublesome!
17. What motion (private or political) taken in 2022 are you most pleased with?
One private: being at my son’s marriage ceremony. One political: watching the Inexperienced caucus proceed to mature politically, and to skillfully and strongly maintain authorities to account.
18. What’s Prince Edward Island’s greatest problem?
An absence of political braveness and imaginative and prescient.
19. Can we repair it?
20. Which three folks would be part of you to your dream ceremonial dinner?
Nelson Mandela, Greta Thunberg and my Dad.